Pretty soon after we moved in to our house, we decided that the wood paneling in our family room had to go. Even though it didn’t look that bad painted white, we knew that once we painted it our own color (blue), it would be a lot more visible. Also, with the strange 8 ft panels and 8.5 ft ceilings, it was just going to look weird. Yes, there was actually 1/2 ft of drywall showing above the panelling.
Fortunately, Hillary’s parents offered to help while they were in town and we decided that this would be a good project to start. Not only would taking down the paneling let us know how much work we were going to have to do to change the drywall.
We made significant progress on Friday night and got all the wood panelling down and disassembled the very oddly made bookshelf. Even though we loved the built-in shelving, we hated the wood behind it. Fortunately, most of it was salvageable, although between the four shelves, there were three different construction methods! We may just make our own, but that’s another project.
Once we removed the paneling, we saw that they had used a ton of glue and the drywall already there wasn’t going to be usable. The next day, we discussed what our options were for fixing the corners in order not to have a corner piece. In the end, we decided that because we were also going to be putting wire in, it would be easiest to remove the drywall on the tv wall and the short wall (where the media console will be).