Day two of the end table project (plans, part 1) went better in some things, but was ultimately unsuccessful. The goal for today was to have a completed base and top that could be joined, sanded, and stained. The good news is that the base is finished! Unfortunately, I ran into issues getting the top square, which is an obvious problem. I plan on taking it back to the shop on Monday to fix it up.
The first thing I did was begin sanding the base parts. I started with 80 grit and moved up to 120 and finished with 220 grit for a super smooth finish needed for staining.
Then I set up the base with biscuits, glue, and clamps with the assistance of one of the staff and let it sit while I had dinner and worked on the table top.
While the table looked pretty good, it still needed plenty of sanding and the edges straightened. Unfortunately, this is where things started to go downhill for the night. Although the staff was super helpful, Techshop simply didn’t have the right tools available to get the job done. The plan was to set up a fence on a squared line and run a router along it in order to shave off about 1/2″ from each side.
The only router that was available though, was a small trim router and the only straight bit that fit had a guide that wouldn’t stay put. The end result was an edge that wasn’t straight. The staff said that they were ordering a larger hand router and I would either be able to use that, one they already had (that was in use tonight) or they would just run it through the shop-bot.
Even if the current status of the table top is not good, I was able to take a couple of pictures of what the final table will look like. The top isn’t completely centered, so it will be a bit different when it’s screwed on, but you get the idea.
That’s right, the main purpose of this table is that it’s custom built to fit over Nova’s new crate! If everything goes well, it will be finished up in about a week including staining.