Finished Fireplace!

By Jeff | Mar. 02, 2013

Woohoo! We're finally done! It may have taken us a ridiculously long time, but we persevered, put things up, took them down, and then put them back up again. We are so happy that we're done, and while we wish it didn't take a whole two months, we think it looks great. And since we know you're really just here for the pictures, here's our magnificent before and after shots!

Fireplace After

We started off with an old brick fireplace that had been converted into a gas fireplace. Our original thought was to just paint it white, but crazy us (ok maybe just me) thought it would be doable to retile the fireplace and create all new shelving. The bottom line? If we were to do something like this again, we would hire someone. Between all the trips to Home Depot, Lowe’s, and the Tile Shop, we don’t actually have a final number for exactly how much it cost, but telling ourselves it would have cost much more to hire someone at least makes us feel better. And we learned a ton throughout the process.

Fireplace

Here’s the fireplace ready to be tiled. Little did we know we were embarking upon a 2+ month journey through blood, tears, and joy to finally get where we are today.

Fireplace Rendering

Remember this rendering? How do you think we did? I’ve included the detail shots from the rendering and the real thing for you to decide.

Fireplace Detail

New Fireplace Detail

Fireplace Detail

New Fireplace Detail

The tile was a difficult process, which we knew going in. But the real reason for this was the uneven surface that was difficult to level. Going forward, we would do tiling before using more leveling agents and ensure everything is flat before laying any tile.

Tiling

Tiling

With the tile done, it was on to the columns. Our first attempt may not have gone so well, but our second went much better.

Tiling

Then it was on to the shelves. We built and painted the shelves and then screwed them into the wall to make it look like they were floating. The top shelf we made in place.

Floating Shelves

Then it was on to the crown molding and baseboards. And we added a new fireplace door. Our hope is to sell the old one, but who knows how much we could get for it.

At this point, we were so close we could taste the ending, but we still had a few days left to go to get all the caulking and touch up paint done. It took a little bit to get used to how the caulk worked, and I would definitely recommend wearing gloves, but we finally finished it!

Fireplace Detail

With all of the woodworking and painting done, there was only one more thing to do….

Carpet

Carpet

New carpet!! Don’t worry, there was no way we were going to install that ourselves, so with the help of Hillary’s Mom, we picked out some carpet and the ProSource installer, Eric Hewett, did the installation. Now, we’ve finally got everything back in place and it’s definitely time for a day (or month) off from major projects.

Family Room After